Happy Pride, VIDA! We celebrate Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ+) Pride Month each June to honor the 1969 Stonewall riots and the work being done to achieve equal rights and justice for all Americans, no matter their gender identity or sexual orientation.
Since the 1970s, Pride events have more prominently popped up in cities all around the country. From Liberation Day marches in New York City, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, to the first national gay-rights march held in our very own Washington, DC.
Pride parades, parties, concerts, education sessions, mixers, and even memorials honoring those lost to hate crimes or HIV/AIDS, take place in June each year to commemorate the impact LGBTQ+ people have had on our communities.
Even so, it has taken years for our government to acknowledge and protect LGBTQ+ individuals on a national level. It wasn’t until 2009 that President Obama signed a law extending existing hate crime laws to include those committed against sexual orientations and gender identities.
Only eight short years ago, in 2015, the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage in its Obergefell v. Hodges decision. While this was a major milestone for civil rights in the United States, it took a long time to get to this point, and unfortunately, there are still messages and acts of hate targeting this community. We celebrate Pride to spread love and uplift LGBTQ+ people, but there is still plenty of work to be done to help honor everyone.
How You Can Get Involved
- March! Capital Pride Alliance is hosting the historic Capital Pride Parade this year on Saturday, June 10th. The parade route “will honor our history and acknowledge the evolution of the LGBTQ+ neighborhoods in Washington DC, while respecting the origins and importance of taking to the streets in our fight for equality.” We are very excited to be participating in the Parade again this year. Keep an eye out for the VIDA Fitness float!
- Get Involved! Whether you want to volunteer within the community or support an LGBTQ+-owned business, there are plenty of ways you can help.
- If you can, donate to an organization you know is trying to make a positive social impact within the LGBTQ+ community. The ACLU, The Human Rights Campaign, The Trevor Project, Out & Equal, SAGE, The Attic Youth Center, Center for Black Equity, The Marsha P. Johnson Institute, The Audre Lorde Project, GLAAD, The Pride Fund to End Gun Violence, and The National Center for Trans Equality are just a few of the many organizations making a difference.
- Make an effort to learn. Read more about the LGBTQ history and historical figures within our nation. Watch a documentary about LGBTQ+ culture or a movie with lead LGBTQ+ representation. Explore new LGBTQ+ authors, artists, or musicians.
- Attend a community event. Capital Pride is hosting a ton of events around the District this month to help celebrate Pride.
VIDA Fitness is proud to be a #LoveWins Platinum Advocate of Capital Pride this year. We will be hosting the Rooftop Rally, DC Black Pride Pool Party, and the Trans Pride Pool Party at Penthouse Pool Club this month. As well as hosting a variety of special-themed group fitness classes at each of our locations.
As an LBGTQ+-owned business and committed supporter and advocate, we are proud to celebrate our differences and want all people to feel welcomed, valued, and safe.