VIDA Personal Training Spotlight: Derrick Martin and Fernando Herraro
This month we profile VIDA Fitness Personal Trainer Derrick Martin and his client Fernando Herraro. Derrick and Fernando sat down with us to tell us a little bit about their history, what inspires them and how they work together to achieve Fernando’s fitness goals.
Tell us about yourself: I’m a NASM certified personal trainer and corrective exercise specialist. I enjoy working with the diverse clientele that the membership of VIDA allows me to engage with. Training in this environment allows me to apply my skills in a great environment. I am always looking to learn and have discovered that each new client adds to my knowledge base.
What made you become a Personal Trainer? I have been in strength training since high school. However, after college a perfect storm of events allowed my weight to reach 350+ lbs. Before my 30th birthday, I began consuming all things nutrition and exercise related. This led to me dropping 100+ lbs and guiding others who have various fitness goals to reach for them based on what I’d been learning over the course of my journey.
Exercise Tip: Pay attention to your body. Workout hard but don’t workout in a way that is counterproductive to your goals. If you’re feeling beat down, many times good sleep and a week off from the gym can be more beneficial than several consecutive 2 hour workouts.
Nutritional Tip: Eat a sensible diet. 90% of the time eat the way that you KNOW you should eat. The other 10% eat the stuff that keeps you from going crazy.
Tell us about one of your success stories: A high school student I trained last summer was trying to make the varsity team of one the the top area high schools. As a favor to my brother, I worked with him for 3 months on his speed and agility. On the first day of practice, the varsity coach pegged him as the starter. He made significant gains in all major lifts and added .2 seconds to his 40 yard dash.
Tell us about yourself: I work in banking and recently moved to DC from Europe. After visiting many gyms in the city, I chose VIDA because of the friendly environment, the fantastic atmosphere and state-of-the-art equipment.
Why are you using a Personal Trainer to achieve your goals? I’ve had a lower-back surgery following a slipped disc a couple of years ago and since then I have to take extreme care when exercising/training.
What do you like most about Derrick? – Derrick is a certified personal trainer who integrates a solid corrective exercise programme into the fitness routine in a fun, challenging and rewarding manner.
What is your main fitness goal? Strengthen my overall fitness from an aesthetic and functional standpoint. Improve my core stability, burn calories and build muscle whilst protecting my back.
How has Derrick helped you reach your goals? I am very impressed by Derick’s professionalism, positive attitude and creative workouts. He keeps me greatly focused and motivated throughout our sessions, pushing me harder and harder as I keep progressing. I also enjoy our regular conversations about health and nutrition, on which Derrick has fantastic tips.