VIDA Fitness May Nutrition Challenge
It will take place via social media (Instagram and Facebook) and will go for 31 days (31 days in May). You must be a part of the picture to prove that they didn’t just repost a picture found on the internet, and use the hashtags #31daychallenge #vidafitnessdc
The incentive: with each post your name gets entered in the raffle to win a free month of membership.
May Nutrition Challenge
1. Post a meal that resembles the My Plate Model: here are the guidelines to follow!
2. How healthy is your breakfast? Remember, fiber & protein are the key nutrients at this meal! Post a pic!
3. Have a snack using 2 or more food groups (Food groups: fruit, vegetable, grains, protein, dairy, oils)
4. Pack your lunch and post a pic!
5. Make a homemade burger using 95% lean ground beef & whole grain hamburger buns. Stick to healthy toppings: veggies, avocado, low fat cheese.
6. Pair fruit with your favorite nut butter for a yummy & healthy snack!
7. Make something using Greek yogurt. Here is one of my favorite Greek yogurt recipes!
8. Post a meal that includes a lean source of protein.
9. Get in your Omega 3’s 2 times today. Examples: salmon, tuna, flaxseed oil, ground flaxseeds, walnuts.
10. Get frozen yogurt & go healthy on the toppings. (Think fruit and non-candied nuts)
11. Go whole-grain for the day. More posts: more entries to win the contest!
12. Sub out cheese for avocado in one of your favorite meals. Why? Swap that saturated fat for monounsaturated fat! Heart Healthy Nutrition Therapy
13. Top something with nuts (i.e. yogurt, salad, oatmeal)
14. Use beans in 1 of your meals today. Bean benefits: excellent source of plant protein and nutrients like iron, zinc, fiber, folate, and potassium!
15. Take a reusable water bottle to work today. Thirst is often mistaken as hunger!
16. Have a post-workout snack high in protein and carbs, low in fat.
17. Buy fresh produce today! (Tip: add sweet potatoes to the list to help with tomorrow’s challenge!)
18. Iron up! Pair with vitamin C to maximize absorption. Post a pic of your creation!
19. Make homemade sweet potato fries: Here’s how! Post a pic J
20. Add a source of low-fat or non-fat dairy to two of your meals today! More posts: more entries to win the contest!
21. Write down everything you eat and drink today, and post a pic!
22. Try a dish with quinoa. Benefits: nutrient-dense option for gluten free diets, can reduce your risk of diabetes, keeps you full longer, a great source of complete protein!
23. Make or order a kale smoothie. The Hulk at the FUEL Bar is a great choice!
24. Make a healthy sandwich. Follow these basic principles for success!
25. Make a homemade healthy brunch and post a pic! Here are some tips when brunching!
26. Try a new food today!
27. Post your favorite healthy snack bar! Look for fewer added sugars and saturated fats, more fruit sugars & healthy fats.
28. Try veggies dipped in hummus instead of crackers or pretzels.
29. Post a pic of you eating your favorite color in the form of a vegetable!
30. Ever had a kale chip? Here’s how to make your own!
31. Post a pic of your favorite smoothie with the recipe! Bonus points: post a health benefit of at least one of the ingredients.