Nutrition Tip: Our Top 5 Detox Foods!
By: VIDA RD Cat Taylor
Detox: what exactly does it mean, and what does it do?
Detoxification: The metabolic process by which toxins are changed into less toxic or more readily excretable substances. Our body detoxifies by:
- Stimulating the liver to drive toxins from the body
- Promoting elimination through the intestines, kidneys, and skin
- Improving circulation of the blood
- Refueling the body with healthy nutrients
Certain foods are particularly helpful in aiding the process of detoxification. Supplement your diet with these foods regularly to maintain your body’s natural detoxification system.
- Lemon– Converts toxins to their water-soluble form so they can be excreted from the body.
- Flaxseeds– Bind and flush toxins from the intestinal tract.
- Beets– Support gallbladder and liver health.
- Garlic– Rids the body of pathogens (disease-producing agents).
- Apples– Help stimulate bile production, which helps the liver detoxify.