Nutrition Tip of the Week: Staying Hydrated!
By: VIDA Registered Dietitian Alayna Markwordt
Did you know the human body is composed of 55-60% water? Every single process in the body is revolved around water! How incredible is that? Hydration will help daily with digestion, fighting stress and infection, having an efficient metabolism, maintaining healthy skin, and on and on! Focusing on your hydration can play a huge role in your health!
How much do you need? About 8-10 cups per day, depending on your daily exercise.
Tips for staying hydrated:
- Drink 2 cups water right when you wake up
- Carry around a water bottle with you all day and set goals throughout the day
- Exercise: consume between 5-8 oz fluids every 15 minutes during exercise to ensure you stay adequately hydrated.
- Get creative! Add fruit or herbs to your water to make it more enjoyable (Lime and Mint, Lemon and Ginger)
- Eat fruits and vegetables! They are filled with water.
- Assess the color of your urine! You want to have “light like lemonade” urine to show that you are hydrated