5 Greens to Add to Your Smoothies
1) Spinach – With a ton of vitamins and minerals, spinach is any easy to blend
in additive that will give your smoothie a nutritional edge. Not to mention, if you’re new to the idea of making green smoothies a part of your diet spinach is a good place to start. With a mild flavor, spinach pairs well with classic
fruit smoothie flavors such as mixed berries and strawberry banana. Our advice is to blend the spinach with the liquid of your smoothie first to ensure that you don’t get sips of leaves when drinking your smoothie.
2) Spirulina – A blue-green freshwater algae, spirulina is 62 percent protein and
contains nutrients that deliver incredible anti-inflammatory and immune boosting benefits. Spirulina is also a great source or iron, B vitamins and vitamins C, D, A and E giving it a label of the super food variety. While spirulina may sound scary to the palette it can be easily consumed in a smoothie with sweeter additives such as bananas, blueberries and dates.
3) Peppermint – Although the green color comes from the spinach in this smoothie recipe, peppermint adds multiple other benefits. This herb can help with aiding an upset stomach and tension headaches as well as curbing hunger and boosting concentration. Combine almond or coconut milk with a frozen banana, chocolate protein, peppermint extract (plus a few mint leaves for good measure) and a handful of raw spinach for the perfect mint chip smoothie.
4) Kale – While comparable in its consistency to spinach, kale definitely takes the nutritional benefits up a notch. Kale contains vitamins K and C, is a great source of fiber and delivers more than twice the value of calcium than spinach. And with a little bit of a stronger flavor kale pairs well with sweeter fruits such as pineapple and strawberries.
5) Avocado – Avocados are a prime source of healthy fats, fiber, protein and potassium making it an ideal ingredient in a smoothie, even though you might be skeptical. Mixing in an avocado to your smoothie will also bring a
silky and creamy texture that normally is only achieved with additional dairy. Blend together some orange juice, Greek yogurt, half of an avocado, frozen banana and a splash of milk for a smoothie that’ll remind you of a creamsicle. Get your green smoothie to pack an even bigger nutritional punch by combining two or more green elements to your blender!
For more custom smoothie creations head to the VIDA Fuel Bar to power up for your workout or get the perfect recovery smoothie.