Instructor Feature: Hansen Mak
Meet Hansen Mak: He’s a defense international affairs advisor by day, and a group fitness instructor at night. His passion for fitness began as a teen when he was faced with health problems, which motivated him to change and adopt a fitness lifestyle focusing on helping others achieve their goals.
1. Why did you decide to become an indoor cycling instructor?
I was training in San Francisco for the AIDS Life Cycle ride and indoor cycling was an alternative to avoid the messy city traffic. One particular instructor inspired me so much that I decided I could motivate others when I moved to DC.
2. What’s one thing you want all your first-time class participants to know?
It’s not for the faint of heart; expect to work and sweat those pounds away, leaving the class accomplished. Nothing is impossible!
3. When you’re not squeezing another sprint out of your students, where can they find you?
Besides my regular day job, either traveling in Europe or on the softball field.
4. How are your classes different from other instructors?
I bring a total body concept workout from head to toe (yes it’s possible in spinning); an experience not in your typical spin class. You’ll feel the burn in your arms, abs and legs without even using weights.
5. Tell us something we don’t know about you?
I was extremely overweight in my younger days……and that’s an understatement!
Check out one of Hansen’s classes at VIDA Metropole on Tuesday nights 7:50pm when you can experience for yourself this month’s featured format: iRIDE!